Sunday, December 19, 2010

Flies, shoo away

Flies, shoo away

With Seth, my husband,during my first trip to Colorado, we stayed in a little place in Nederland, right above Boulder. It was beautiful.
We went to the little place to have breakfast and saw that on every door, outside, there was a clear bag with water in it. We thought it was some tool to measure the amount of snow that fell that night, or something like that. Well, wrong we were!!! When I asked what it was for, they said it was for the flies.
See, in colorado, where we live, there is quite a bit of horses around, and they do attract flies. So, that little bag stappled to the top of the frame door, confused the flies and they do not get in. How clever is that!!!??? No chemical, just plainly water :-)

However, I just read that there was a test done in university about it, and they found out that the room where there was bad of water hanging was actually attracting more flies. So, I guess this is not the result we are looking for.

I have to say that we don't have much flies here in my house so I don't have much experience with it. So I only can report what I have found. However, my sister in france found a product that does not kill flies but repell them. It is AMAZING!!! (won't work outside though, that's for inside). It is called  mouchclap (you can find it there: http://coudelou.fr/produit.html?id=586&ajout=1)

Now, if you are just in the garden and flies are bugging you (sort to speak), I found a recipe, and I have to say that it is so difficult to find the products that I decided not even share it (if I can't make it, I don't want to share it).
So I found another one that is effective as well. How many times, have you heard me saying how much of a fan I am of Lavender oil?? Well, here it comes again. People, have your bottle ready, anytime, anywhere. If you are at home, just soak some rags or ribbon of lavender oil and let them hang around where you are. Bugs do not like lavender. (you might wonder, well, what about the bees, they love lavender!! Well, I learned that it is not the smell that brings them to lavender, but the color. Yes my friends, the bees' favorite color is purple. So if you plan to be on a summer day near bees, do not wear purple, they will love you :-)

Here is another thing I have found:
Make natural fly repellent strips. Many essential oils are naturally effective at repelling flies. Some of these include, citronella, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass and lavender. Cut several strips of fabric from old clothing. Dot each strip with several drops of your essential oil of choice. Hang the strips around the perimeter of your campsite to repel flies and a host of other insects.

3 comments:

  1. Each time I receive your blog, I am so thrilled...It is like a desert that I am waiting for all day long. I simply LOVE your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. I am looking forward to trying your natural fly repellent strips. We have had some fly problem last summer (kids forgot to close the screen and flies get in). I have tried to find a repellent and no recipe has been very convincing so far. (I have tried some product I found at McGukin and it didn't work at all). I think that mouchclap is an insecticide and not a reppelent.
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecile, there are different products for mouch clap. The one that I send is a repellent. All organic. It does not kill the flies.

    Thank you Valou :-)

    ReplyDelete